Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Mike Running Half Marathon to Raise Money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

On August 17, I will be running (attempting to run) 13.1 miles in the San Diego Half Marathon to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

I am running in memory of my mom, who was killed in a tragic car accident when I was 17 years old.

I am also running in memory of my friend Alex Ortiz, who died two weeks ago from lymphoma. Alex was a medical school friend of mine. In addition to being a fine physician, he was one of the most tolerant, respectful, and compassionate people whom I have met. Alex and I spent many difficult times together during our very first medical school rotation, which ironically was in the oncology wards at Yale-New Haven Hospital. Alex and I spent hours of time after work talking to patients, getting to know them and their families, watching television and just hanging out with them. Much of what I learned from Alex I carried with me during my later medical training in terms of my caring for patients.

Anyone who wishes to sponsor me in my run - your donations, no matter how small, would be appreciated.

If you are interested in sponsoring me, pleases make a check directly to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and mail it to me at the address below:

Dr. Michael Siegel
Social and Behavioral Sciences Department
Boston University School of Public Health
801 Massachusetts Avenue, 3rd Floor
Boston, MA 02118

No comments: